Businesses today are facing a number of challenges. The economy is making it difficult to anticipate projected sales figures with unemployment and overall economic woes. Plus, competition to retain existing customers and to acquire new customers is very difficult. Overall, these factors and many others are making it very difficult for companies, both large and small, to become profitable.
In addition to the economic problems facing companies, they are facing other social issues. One of the largest problems facing both the public and private sectors is that of sustainability. Every decision that businesses make need to be made with an eye on the environment. A decision made without considering the environment can result in environmental problems and subsequently lead to a public relations nightmare.
This balance between industries and the environment has become more prominent. These concerns are all part of a field of academic study called industrial ecology. With the diminishing natural resources on the planet, and the concerns of businesses to be profitable, this will become an important field now and in the foreseeable future. To become introduced to the field of industrial ecology, we has assembled a selection of helpful resources:
Industry Environmental Issues
- Social and Environmental Issues – information on some of the most important issues that are facing the oil industry in terms of the environment.
- Environment and the Service Industry (PDF) – helpful article outlining environmental concerns that are of concern to the service industry.
- Printing Industry and the Environment – resource discussing the changes in the printing industry due to environmental issues and pressures that they bring.
- Urban and Industrial Environment – useful information on challenges of smog and pollution in urban areas, and what industries are doing about this problem.
- Industry and the Environment – information on what is being done to assist businesses in creating environmentally friendly machines and processes.
- Pollution and Industries – challenges of pollution and the environment that are facing industry are outlined in this helpful resource.
General Environmental Issues and Concerns
- Environmental Issues – informative resource from the EPA dealing with a variety of issues facing the world.
- Airport Environmental Concerns – information on concerns with air quality facing the airline industry and air travel.
- Rural Areas and the Environment – helpful information on environmental issues facing rural areas.
- Energy and the Environment – White House report on energy usage and our environment, covering a number of important topics.
- Wind Energy and the Environment – useful information about wind energy benefits and potential problems.
- Water and Environmental Issues – information on concerns of the environment and waterways.
- Basic Sustainability Information – useful information on sustainability including a definition and resources.
- Sustainability in Cities – helpful resource containing information on initiatives of sustainability in urban area.
- Environmental Sustainability Index – informative index measuring sustainability and its success.
- Defining Sustainability – definition and information about the environmental challenges of sustainability.
- Toward a Culture of Sustainability – resource describing the idea of sustainability and how we are moving towards this standard.
- Sustainability Information – information and up to date coverage of sustainability from public radio.
Business and the Environment
- Center for Business and the Environment – resourceful site providing information and resources on the role of business in protecting the environment.
- Sustainable Business – useful portal of information on green businesses and what others can do to become more environmentally friendly.
- Business Concerns and the Environment – informative resource from the Harvard Business School providing information on environmental concerns of businesses.
- Business and the Environment – helpful resources containing information on the environment for companies.
- Small Business and the Environment – information on the environment targeted for small businesses and owners.
- Business, Environment and Social Responsibility – educational resource discussing the responsibility of businesses to be aware of the environment.
Industrial Ecology Resources
- Industrial Ecology Introduction (PDF) – useful article dealing with basic information on industrial ecology.
- Industrial Ecology Information – helpful information describing how businesses can be aware of the environment.
- Industrial Ecology – description of educational program designed to teach concepts of industrial ecology.
- Industrial Ecology Resources – collection of resources on industrial ecology from an association on the topic.
- Industrial Ecology Intro (PDF) – useful information on the environment and businesses responsibilities to preserve resources.
- Industrial Ecology in the City – informative website providing information on industrial ecology and the urban centers.